We are continuing to make our best efforts to keep all our employees and customers safe from corona virus. Click here to learn how we’re moving customers safely. Please contact us if you have any questions regarding your move.
M-F 8AM - 8PM, Sat/Sun 9AM - 6PM CST
local movers and storage

Leading Provider of Moving Services in  Connecticut

Obtaining A Health Certificate For Pets When Moving

November 18, 2021

Read all blog posts
Obtaining A Health Certificate For Pets When Moving
When moving to a new state, you require a health certificate for your pet from your veterinarian, which basically certifies that your pet is vaccinated, healthy, and free of infections.

Your pet might need to cross borders for a variety of reasons, whether it's a flight to another country or a drive over state boundaries. Vacations with their human family, show trials, hunting, and even finding new homes are some reasons for these travels. It is essential to understand the rules and regulations that apply to any pet travel, regardless of the reason.

Most pet owners, in our experience, are aware that overseas travel and anything involving planes necessitates the completion of documents, vaccines, and, most likely, a trip to the veterinarian's clinic prior to departure.

Many pet owners, however, are unaware that similar requirements apply even when crossing state boundaries with a furry companion in tow. In reality, 42 of the 50 states require dogs entering the state to get a health certificate. Only 39 states, interestingly, require a health certificate for cats.

How to Obtain a Dog Health Certificate

The procedure for obtaining a health certificate for puppies or dogs is pretty straightforward, and your veterinarian may assist you. Just remember to start this procedure well ahead of your move, as it will include a few phone calls and a visit to the veterinarian. This is what you must do:

Look up the destination state regulations: 

Find out what the regulations are in your destination state by contacting the USDA. The USDA's website has links to each state's veterinarian and livestock regulations.

Contact your vet

Contact your veterinarian if your new state demands a health certificate for dogs. Notify your veterinarian if you plan to relocate to a new state where a CVI is required. Your veterinarian will be able to tell you what that is, but make sure you acquire all of the information from your present veterinarian that your new state would require.

Contact the state’s vet office in your destination:

Now you must ensure that you provide your new state with the necessary information when you arrive. The state's veterinary association can be useful, or you can use the internet to find a veterinarian in your new neighborhood. These vets are used to individuals moving in and out, so they'll know exactly what to give you to ensure that you're following the rules.

Have your dog examined

Once you've figured out exactly what you'll need, take your dog to the vet to get him examined so your doctor can certify that he's fit to travel. Your veterinarian will provide you with the CVI you'll need in your new state.

After the move, submit the CVI

To avoid any fines or penalties, make sure you submit your papers to the new state after you've arrived.

Some states don’t require the CVI

Although some states do not require a CVI, they do want proof of vaccinations, so be sure you have those documents. Some states give you a grace period after you've moved in to get your vaccines, but it's usually only about 30 days.

If you are planning to move with your pet, contact the Pet Movers in New Haven, CT

Read more blog posts